Sunday 19 April 2009

Experiments With Light


I went along to a workshop with my Quaker friends (small "f") on Saturday. It was based on the idea of how the early Quakers practiced searching for the light of truth by experimentation. There was a six stage guided meditation that essentially accomplised the following:
1) Relax body and mind
2) Using a receptive state to bring out the real concerns of life.
3) Focussing on one issue that troubles you.
4) Asking why it is like that.
5) Welcoming any answers that emerge.
6) Feeling different as a result.
Most people found this particularly useful and in some cases felt physically healed. In secular terms it bears much resemblance to what can be accomplished by cognitive therapy, but there is something spiritual about trusting an insight that comes from this kind of introspection. I think I now know something of what my Quaker friends mean when they speak of the "leadings of the light".

No comments: